Thursday, September 13, 2012

#3 - Goodness Around Me


Bonjour!!
Thank you all for your letters! I was so happy to hear about the Tony Grove hike.  Never think that you shouldn't tell me stuff like that because it might make me homesick or something.  I am doing the exact thing I want to do, and I am so happy, and I just love hearing what you are all doing.  I know I'll do the hike again in 2 summers, so it's fine.  I love hearing all the details.
I realized I haven't really explained what I'm doing over here, like what the schedule is.  Here's my schedule: Study, eat, study, eat, study, eat, study, sleep.  Repeat for 3 months.  Ha ha :)  Uh, but really. I was so surprised when I got here to find out that there is SO much study time without a teacher.  It's kind of a weird feeling here, cuz it's kind of like you're super-over-supervised, and yet you have no supervision.  Like there are many hours in the day where you are just responsible for studying with your companion, both gospel and language, and no one helps you.  I imagined we'd have more teachers, but it's good.  It's helping me learn many things.  So many things that I don't even have time to explain them.  But sometimes we do have teachers, and I love that part because it's very effective and we learn quicker.  I have two teachers- Frere Lindsey, and a sort-of new one, Frere Coulson.  The big joke at this place is this: Your third day here, they have you start teaching an "investigator" in your mission language.  Then a week and a half later, you find out that your investigator is actually your second teacher.  Anyhoo, these days both teachers spend time teaching us throughout the day.  And now both are playing the role of investigator, so Soeur Barker and I have two "investigators"- "Tom" and "Jake."  At first I thought this was very cheesy and weird.  But now I can see that it's a brilliant idea.  The main goal of missions is to teach lessons and bring investigators to Christ, and we have to practice that.  It's not like there are actually a ton of French speakers wandering around wanting to take lessons from people who speak at a kidnergarten level, so we have to role-play.  So yes, that is what I do.  I teach my two investigators and study.  And I like it!
We had a crazy change today!  We gained 4 members in our district- 3 French elders, and Soeur Green, whom I met on the San Fran trip!  All four of them speak French (including Soeur Green, who is from Utah, but is studying French in college), so they have been working with the international missionaries, learning English.  Soeur Green was helping them.  It's so great to have 4 French-speakers with us!  Hopefully they can help us improve our language skills! And with the extra sister, I am now in a trio companionship.  It'll be another new challenge to figure out the trio thing, but I'm really glad to have her.  She is very obedient and driven, and that's exactly what I want in a companion. 
Some weekly random thoughts:
- Yesterday they had pumpkin soup in the cafeteria.  I was completely delighted.  I was eating in a noisy cafeteria with flourescent lighting and too many boys sweating in their suits, and I still felt cozy, autumn-y.  I love pumpkin food.
- Every night I do something nice.  When the lights turn out, I look around me and think about how I can't see anything in the pitch black.  It's just total darkness.  Then I lay there on my top bunk and think about stuff for awhile.  I know missionaries are supposed to fall asleep instantly, but I'm not to that point yet.  So I sit there and think about whatever I want, and I love that part of the day.  But the best part is that after awhile with my eyes closed, I open them back up and look around.  And I. Can. See.  I remember learning about night-vision and how your eyes adapt to the dark in my psychophysics class, and suddenly the miracle of it has hit me.  I do this little ritual every night, and every night it amazes me that our eyes can actually adapt to the dark.
- We watch these videos sometimes that I want you all to look up.  You would all love them, and I think Dad especially would.  They're not from the church, they're on the New York Times website.  I don't even know how they access them or anything, but I've looked at the top banner when they load the videos, and it says "One in a Million" on the New York Times site.  They are these beautiful little five minute videos about peoples' lives.  Just a glimpse into their lives.  They are so well-done.  We watch them and then plan lessons accorrding to what we think the person in the video would need.  I love it.  So try looking it up, becuase you will probably love it, too.
- We begin Tahitian next week, I think.  Maybe the week after.  It's so insane.  It really is so funny.  Everyone pray for me.  I'm not actually scared becuase I know it will all work out.  But it is a little daunting to think that after all this work in French and though we still barely speak it, we are about to try and learn another entirely different language.  I'm excited for it. :)
I am very happy!  The more time I am here, the more I love it, and the more focus I gain in my purpose as a missionary.  I can't begin to explain the things I've already learned.  The biggest thing I'm learning about is the Atonement, which I can now only think of as the French word, "L'Expiation."  It's everything.  This past week I had a cool moment while I was reflecting on my day, and the scripture Phillipians 6:13 (I hope that's the right reference) came to my mind- "I can do all things through Him which strengtheneth me."  For me, that is a perfect description of the Atonement.  To access the Atonement and become better through it requires action- I can do all things.  You've got to get up and do it.  If something needs to be done, you don't pray that it will be done, you do it.  But the point is that you do it through Him.  And the more I come to know Christ, the more I understand that this is real.  That's not a nice idea.  Christ really lives, and our relationship, our at-one-ment with Him, is the power behind all the things we do. And we really can do all things.  
I love life.  I really love the gospel.  I am so happy to be here doing this earth thing with so much goodness around me.  I'm realizing that all things really do testify of Christ, and the joy we can have here is limitless.  Life is so good.
Much, much, much love, Soeur Mann
P.s. Happy birthday tomorrow, Berns!  I LOVE YOU!