Tuesday, January 29, 2013

#24 - Denial of Fear


Hi there, family!

I would just like to tell you all that I have had a great week.  I am happy. Soeur Ruaroo and I had a great week, and it is a good thing, because it turns out it was our last week together.  I will just tell you some of the good things that happened: Teariki and Rowan are baptized.  Teariki, who is usually a very quiet, kind of withdrawn person, was just shining at church yesterday.  He had his head up high, shaking hands with people, and I thought, that is someone who is coming to know Christ.

While riding our bikes along the road, a wave came up from the ocean and actually splashed us in the face.  As in, I tasted the salt water.  While riding my bike along the road.  Think about how cool that is for a minute.

  • ·         We successfully prayed away a cyclone that was going to come ruin a wedding, but didn't.


  • ·         We answered the question of someone who has been lost and struggling for a very long time.


  • ·         I purchased some of those little baby cheeses that I love.


When I think about the past three months I've had with Soeur Ruaroo, I just don't know where to start.  An American showed up with a Tahitian, neither of us knew even one person here, there was no missionary before us to help us out, and three months later there are five more members of the Church, and we have a family here.  That's an actual, literal miracle.

My new companion will be joining us tonight.  She is going to be lovely.  I am so excited to be with her because I know her a little, and she is very sweet and kind.  Her name is Soeur Teriierooiterai.  Heh heh.  Yes. That is actually her name.  She is a member of 5 years- she grew up Catholic and is the only member of the Church in her family.  I'm thrilled about that, because I know that she will be able to relate to our amis (investigators), who are trying to make their own big changes, sometimes without the support of their families. I am nervous about the change a little bit, because it will now be my job to show her the ropes and make the transition for her and I will be the only one who knows the situation here.  I know I'm going to make lots of mistakes.  I know I'm still far from understanding everything I need to.  I have to lead the sector, and I know that I am not really, really ready.

But ya know what?  Oh well!

One of the many lessons I'm learning over here is that faith is real and it is a denial of fear.  I have been thinking lots about fear.  Why do we like it?  Sometimes we just cling and cling and cling to our fears.  Somehow it’s kind of comforting or something. But God actually commands us a few times in the scriptures to fear not.  It’s been one of the hardest commandments for me to keep here.  But I'm learning.  I'm learning that faith means you just have to go with it.  Go, go, go, be brave, and I'm realizing that when you jump off the edge, He really is there to help you fly. 

I’ve been praying a lot for the comfort of God for this next big change in my life, and I can tell you that God really does answer our prayers.  I know that I will be okay.  I really do know it.  Because I know with all my heart that the Spirit is with me, and that Father is helping me. 

Something that is really important in life is thinking quietly.  If we can be quiet and still for a few minutes, we can learn a lot.

This week Bishop Graffe made a deal with me.  He told me that if someone with light hair and blue eyes and glasses walks into a home here and starts speaking Tahitian with the people, they will see a miracle, and they will be more willing to listen to me.   This month I am declaring Tahitian Month.  'Cuz the truth is that I barely speak any Tahitian.  I don't know how or when to learn it.  I also know that my mission call letter says very clearly that I have been called to teach the gospel in the Tahitian language. So... here we go.  I gotta do it.  Another leap of faith!  And the next Fast and Testimony meeting, I am getting up and bearing my testimony in Tahitian. 

I love being alive.  I love how interesting life is.  I love learning.  I love changing.  I love loving.

I love Tahiti!  And I love you so very much, family.

The gospel is life. 

Life is beautiful.

All my love, Soeur Mann