Tuesday, December 11, 2012

#16 - Burnt Orange Curtains

Dear Diary,

It has been raining for a week straight.  I don't know if these storms will ever stop.  I fear I may never be dry again.

Uh, but really.  It has not stopped raining for a week straight!  And nothing EVER dries.  Everything is starting to smell...  

Anyway, thats enough talking about the weather. Hello, my dear loved ones. 

A few little Tahiti things:
I don't know how to describe this certain aspect of the Tahitian culture.  Its like no one is ever surprised.  Little things that would just send us into an uproar make absolutely no difference.  For instance, the other morning the relief society held a big breakfast for all the sisters, and they put a ton of work into it.  Were all sitting around eating our pineapple and whatnot, and this disgusting dog comes slinking around the tables, bugging everyone.  No one says a word.  Now if we were eating breakfast as the Hyde Park first ward and a possibly rabid dog started slinking around us, what would we do?  Surely a Priesthood holder would shoo him away or something!  But no one ever talks about all the weird little things that happen.  I am constantly surprised and everyone else is never surprised.  I guess that's called culture shock.

The picture is of my very first English class!  Yes, folks, Ms. Mann the English professor is alive and well in Tahiti!  The idea is to get this going and have people invite investigators.  I feel quite lost most of the time here, but I will tell you something- my hour and a half next to a chalkboard was one of the highlights of my week.  I felt like me for a minute!  I even wore a cardigan just to feel teacher-y.  And I put a jar of flowers on the table.  I love teaching!  I hope this leads us to some investigators!

This picture is of my bedroom and my companion who walked in unexpectedly   I will never forget these huge burnt orange curtains and the smell of detergent, mold, sweat, and perfume that permeates this room.  Lots and lots of heartfelt prayers have been offered every morning and night next to the bed on the far left.  This tiny little room in Tahiti is a place where I am learning to love and trust my Heavenly Father with all my heart.

This week I had an experience with an inactive member that made my whole week worth it.  We are helping her come back to the gospel and regroup her family, and she its been amazing to see the change in her eyes over the past couple weeks.  We sat on a little bench under a tarp-roof, and I asked her, What is your biggest dream for your family?  I will always remember the way I felt when she told me that she wants her family sealed in the Temple. 

The Temple is real.  Families really are forever.  I miss you guys so bad, but if my investigator gets her family sealed in the Temple, it will be worth all the time I spend in Tahiti.

I love you.  

Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us.

Have a happy week!
Soeur Mann