Sunday, October 21, 2012

#6 - Crazy, Beautiful, Fascinating


October 2, 2012
Alright, folks.  
Let’s talk about Tahitian.  I don’t even know where to start with this.  Okay, one thing:  The word for “day” and “sun” is the same.  And “months” and “moons.”  Do you understand what that means?  It means I am learning a language where they actually say, “It has been many moons since I've seen you.”  This language is the real deal! (By the way, I think that phrase will be very natural to me, thanks to my Native American heritage.)  It is such a crazy, beautiful, fascinating language.  Tahitian is all about circumlocution, which is where you say a word by describing it.  For example, there’s no word for “waterfall.”  You just say something like, “The place where the water falls from a high place.”  It takes a long time to say things.  It’s funny because I feel like French and Tahitian are total opposites.  French is all about exactness.  You have very, very specific grammar rules, and you always know the number, gender, and specific tense of everything.  Tahitian is the open, get-the-feel-of-it language.  And both are so beautiful. 
On Wednesday, I was feeling a little (a lot) overwhelmed because two languages just seemed insane.  But while I was running during gym, I had this very clear thought come to me and remind me that this mission call is such a cool blessing from a sweet Heavenly Father.  He’s given me the chance to learn two beautiful languages.  I asked my teacher a few nights ago, “Will I use a lot of Tahitian?  Am I really going to use this?”  He assured me that I would, that lots of people speak Tahitian.  But last night he came back and said, “I want to change my answer to your question.  You’ll probably use Tahitian a lot.  But even if you don’t, even if you only teach one other person in Tahitian, would it be worth this effort to bring them the gospel?”  And it absolutely would be.  It’s so cool to be doing something that really, really matters.  And you know what?  The language is going to work out just fine!  This week our district made a goal to only speak French.  We can speak English during gym or if it is necessary to explain something about Tahitian (We really do learn Tahitian through French!). And yesterday was a long day of French-speaking.  You know how babies can create their own baby-friend languages?  Sometimes when our district speaks French, it feels like that.  Like we’re just babbling along and barely understanding each other.  J  But last night I experienced two little miracles: 1. One of the French elders taught me a lesson, and 2. I had a conversation with Sister Pea, a new sister here from Tahiti!  And you know what?  It worked!  I understood them, even with their accents.  I've got a loooong way to go with both languages, but it’s going to work out!
Two songs that everyone should listen to again: “The Prayer” by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman, and “Savior, Redeemer of My Soul,” from the movie 17 Miracles.  I’m always singing these songs in my head because we've heard them here.  They are so beautiful.
I think when I get home, if I can, I’ll get licensed to teach French along with English and Psychology!  I wonder how hard it would be.  Wouldn't that be cool though?
I’d like to say something.  The MTC is definitely not a prison.  It does have a lot of rules, but it’s fun.  The teachers are funny, the employees are funny, and the presidency is funny!  They’re all just normal people.  It a different life, but it’s still fun.  I’m glad I’m a missionary during the PMG stage of missionary work.  I've heard lot of people say, “Missionaries are robots.  The MTC turns people into robots.”  That is so far from the truth!  They tell us constantly, “Teach from your heart! Teach what you really know!  Share your sincere, personal testimony!”  Missionary work is just real people helping real people.  Elder Holland said in a talk that, “ Missionary work is not separated from real life.  This is the closest to real life you’re ever going to get.”  All day, every day is about service and love and the things that matter most.  It’s awesome.
I LOVE the Book of Mormon.  I to talk to Levi Williams here (wonderful!) and he changed my life.  He said that I should never read the Book of Mormon without a purpose.  And it really has changed the way I study.  I am gaining a deeper and deeper testimony of the Book of Mormon every day.
This week I remembered one of my favorite quotes.  It’s from  C.S. Lewis, and it’s longer than this, but one part says, “Your neighbor is the holiest object presented to your senses.”  There are so many beautiful things in the world – landscapes, art, literature, music, and they are all fascinating and important.  But people are the only thing that really matter
I love you, I truly, truly love you!
Seour Mann