Sunday, October 21, 2012

#8 - Mistakes Are The Plan


October 16, 2012


Hello, everyone!  Here I am.  Less than three weeks until I am actually living in Tahiti.  On a mission. Hooray! I hope everyone is happy and safe and having a nice, cozy mid-October week!
Here are some things I want to say:

I still love the MTC.  Have I ever mentioned "The Nook"?  The nook is a little area outside our classroom with a big huge window facing the mountains.  When I look back on my MTC mission, I think there are two things I will first remember.  1. The lemon poppyseed muffins in the cafeteria with sugary stuff on top.  (Only half kidding.  They've been a big part of this.)  2.  The Nook.  Actually, there are definitely other things that I will remember before that, but The Nook will truly be a good memory forever.  I have learned a lot just by sitting next to that window, looking out at the mountains, and thinking.  Right now the view is gorgeous with all the fall colors. We spend so much time studying by that window that many days I watch the sun just waking up over the mountains and set on the other end of the valley at night, broken up by class time and meals and things.  I've really learned the importance of pondering.  Some of the best moments of clarity and understanding I've had here have been sparked by five minutes of reading and then lots of minutes just looking out the window. There are a lot of restrictions here- no music, no internet, no newspaper, all that, and it is hard sometimes, but it gives you a lot of space to think.  

I would just like to share this funny moment that happened last night. Every day, Elder Gervasi grabs a bag of chips and keeps it under his desk to eat at night when he gets back to his room. Last night he stood up to say the prayer, and somehow Elder Calves snuck the bag of chips onto Elder Gervasi's seat.  Elder Gervasi finished the prayer, sat down, and actually sat on his very own big of chips.  I'm sorry, I know that's not reverent to do during a prayer, but that was just too funny.  I couldn't stop laughing for a good five minutes. 

I've been thinking a lot this week about mistakes.  Here's what I've learned.  There is a goal to this life, and it is to become something.  We're supposed to learn and discover and gain wisdom, and then we're supposed to use that wisdom to become something great.  One of the ways we learn best is by making mistakes.  I've read 2 Nephi 2 over and over and over this week thinking about this idea.  The chapter says that all things exist by contrast- without sadness, there is no happiness; without dark there is not light, and all these opposites.  Without contrast, nothing exists.  So basically, you've got to know some bad to know some good.  I've been thinking about the fall of Adam and how we all treat it kind of like it's this really sad thing, like, "Dang.  I can't believe Eve messed up and ate the fruit, and they had to get cast out of that pretty garden and start working." But the scriptures say that this was all part of the plan.  Isn't that interesting?  How could the fall be part of the plan? I think I'm beginning to understand that mistakes are always a part of the plan because mistakes are the plan.  You learn by experience, you learn by contrast.  This is not the same thing as purposefully making bad choices.  It's not right to live lawlessly and thoughtlessly and hope that you learn something.  The point is to honestly try your best, and when you learn something, you live it.  But the truth is that you're going to make mistakes, even if you're trying.  And that's why the Savior atoned for us.  I really have a testimony of God's perfect love, and I really believe that Christ can allow us to overcome mistakes.  So my point is this- life is supposed to be lived with faith, not fear.  It's okay to really try your very best, and if you make mistakes, it's okay.  God knew you would, and He will help you learn from them if you let Him. 

I love you all with all my heart!  Have a happy week!  Much love, 

Soeur Mann