Monday, January 20, 2014

#74 - Crab Story

Bonjour to one and all!  I love you!

- I would like you to know, Amelia, that your hair is famous even in Tahiti.  We talked about you in our ward council yesterday.  Haha!  I told my bishop the story about you singing for the Christmas thing and how people remember you easily because of your head, and he mentioned that little story in ward council.  Truly, you are so blessed to have your hair.  But the real point of this story is this- after telling them about you singing in Brazil, my ward got all curious and they're like... "Waaaait... your little sister plays piano and sings and you dooon't?..."  Right after our meeting they were having a choir rehearsal for our little missionary fireside this Saturday.  The bishop's wife literally came up and said, "I KNOW you can play piano, Soeur Mann.  You say a prayer right now and ask Heavenly Father help your fingers play the piano for our choir rehearsal."  Oh, boy.  That's what you get when your little sister's all talented and stuff.  You have to follow in her stinking footsteps.  But actually, it was wonderful!  K, I really couldn't play all the songs with all four parts at once.  No can do- but!  I was able to play the parts one by one so our little choir could learn the harmonies!  And we had a blast!  And I will be singing a little solo this Saturday of "We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet."  It was such a fun evening to sing with these members and laugh and enjoy.  I'm definitely not a pianist, but I was so thankful that I could help a little bit.  Thanks, Mom and Dad, for the piano/voice lessons.  Thanks, Mill, for inspiring our little choir.  Thanks, Luke, even though this story has nothing to do with you, it feels like you should be a part of this little thank-you moment.  You rock.

- I would now like to tell you a little story about two crabs.  It seems my emails kind of have themes.  Right now we are on the "crab" theme.  Sorry.  But I really do want to tell you about this little experience, because I thought it was pretty interesting.  So I was sitting outside just an hour or so ago while Soeur Paraurahi was doing her emails, and I was trying to read my scriptures, but I couldn't really focus cuz something kept clankin' around in the tin garbage can next to my feet.  It was two little crabs.  I really have no idea how they got in the garbage can, but they were in there just causing a ruckus, so I put down my scriptures and decided to observe them.  For awhile I just left them in there and watched them try and get out.  I didn't really want to let them out, cuz I didnt know if the people who live here put them in there or what.  But finally it was just getting too sad.  They were struggling and struggling with all their might, but every time they tried, they would slip down the sides of the can.  Finally I decided it was time to give them a little help.  I took the can out into the yard and flipped it over so they could crawl out.  The first little guy was so funny.  At first he kind of hesitated, tip-toed out to the sun, and the second he realized he was back in the grass, he sprinted with glee, click-click-click, back to his hole, as fast as his happy little crab legs could carry him!  Then I waited and waited for the second crab to come out.  Instead he just sat there in the very back of the can, all covered in trash.  I tried to move the trash a little bit to show him, hello, you can come out now... but he was just sitting back there all cranky.  I finally gave up and went back to my scriptures and he just sat there lamely in the trash.

So of course I started thinking about my scriptures, and my investigators, and life, and these two crabs.  First of all, I realized that sometimes we find ourselve stuck in a bunch of trash.  Everybody has that.  Sometimes we crawl or fall into it, sometimes someone dumps us in there, it doesn't really matter though, because all we know is we are stuck in a bad thing and we cant get out. And so many times, we have to ask for help.  No matter what we do, we'll never make it alone.  Addiction, low self-esteem, fighting at home, gossiping, lack of motivation, all that trash.  One thing I know for sure is that there is truly, truly Someone who can help.  When we are humble and ask the Savior to help us out of a problem, he always does.  I've seen that over and over in my life and plenty of lives here on my mission.

One hard and good reality, though, is this:  He doesn't take us out of the trash.  He will always, always turn the can over and make a path, but we are the ones that have to climb out.  When I was looking at that crab just sitting in his little corner, I thought, "Why the heck aren't you coming out?  It's all sunny and great, I turned the can over, just move your feet four inches and you're free!"  Maybe he was scared.  Maybe he was mad at his friend for getting out so fast and leaving him there.  Maybe he was embarrassed that I had to help him and he didn't want to admit it.  Maybe he just didn't realize what a good chance this was.  

The point is, it was up to him.  And it is up to us, too!  When we want out of a bad situation or a bad habit, we really can ask for help.  Heavenly Father loves us, and he wants us to be free, happy, clickin across the yard with a big smile on our face.  But He cannot and will not force us to change.  We have to decide to leave the garbage behind.  

I have a testimony that people can leave the garbage behind.  It is so hard, sometimes, but it is worth it.  Also, just because we missed a first chance or took a long time doesn't mean we can't ever get out.  The second little crab finally did decide to crawl out.  He just waited til I stopped watching.  And now he is probably happily embracing his little crab wife down in their little crab house under the sand.  

 I love our Heavenly Father and His wise, good plan of salvation that lets us choose and grow.  I love our Savior Jesus Christ for helping us along the way.  I love you all.  Life is beautiful!

All my love,
Soeur Mann