Tuesday, November 5, 2013

#63 - 23 Full Trips

Hello, to one and all!  I would just like to say that my favorite food might be mangos.  I am eating a mango right now, and it is so. so. good.  It is candy.  Let's all take a moment and be glad that this earth naturally produces something as good-tasting as a mango.  Brilliant.

I would also like to say that I still love you, I care about you so much, and I can't believe I am the luckiest person in the world.  I really am amazed and humbled and not grateful enough for the people in my life.  I thought a lot this morning especially about you, Mom and Dad, and all of my grandparents.  Last week when I wrote my email I was talking about some struggles I had in the beginning of my mission, but I want you to know that I got through that thanks in large part to you and all that you taught me.  I've met so many people that have overcome enormous difficulties and endured very hard childhoods, and I just simply have been so incredibly blessed in my life.  I'm so thankful for the happiness I've had, which comes from the good people who loved me and taught me.  I was thinking today about specific moments when I remember being taught important truths and hearing the testimonies of each one of you.  I love you.  Thank you.

Perhaps you will remember an email I wrote a long time ago about an old, skinny papi named Papi Vaea that we taught who didn't really listen to us too much and always seemed a little put-out by our presence, but who also had a little twinkle of "I love you" in his eyes.  Well a little while ago I got the phone call from my bishop from my old ward letting me know that Papi had passed away.  It's funny how thinking about the Plan of Salvation every day influences your thoughts, because the first thing I thought was just, "Oh, Papi... what is he even doing right this very second?"  Funny and wonderful to know that he really is just alive somewhere, still being himself.  The very sweet part of this story is this: Right before he passed away, some of Papi Vaea's last words were about two missionaries that came and talked to him about good things.  He told his family that the birthday he passed with the missionaries was one of the best birthdays he'd ever had.  When I thought back to that birthday, I remembered how Soeur D'agnillo and I were running around, super busy, but we knew that we had a visit with him, a baptismal interview for a baptism that never happened because he never could quit smoking.  We pulled over at a little store and grabbed these little hostess cake things on our way up the hill.  That night we just ate the little cakes with him, sang happy birthday, and told him we loved him.  It was the simplest, most unimpressive birthday celebration.  But a few months later, long after I'd forgotten about it, it came back to me, and it turns out that that tiny act turned out to be one of the happiest moments of the end of someone's life.   

I thought a lot about him, because he was someone that was kind of frustrating at times.  At the end of my time serving in Oremu, we didn't really see him too often because he seemed to make just about zero "progress"- he never came to church, he never really understood our French, and the poor guy, after 30 years or something, just couldn't beat the smoking thing.  So we didn't really teach him much because we didn't feel like we were bringing any good changes in his life.  But Bishop's call made me re-think about what "progress" is or what it means to be effective when it comes to being a disciple of Christ.  Of course, being a full-time missionary, I really am here to help people move forward and change, and I know that's my objective.  But in the end, for all of us, we're not really here to judge other people's progress or place a value on their time.  What matters is just being nice.  That's all.  Whether people change or come-around or progress, that's between them and God.  But everyone deserves our kindness, no matter what.  I'm excited for the next time I get to see Papi, give him a hug, and see what he's become.  Be he converted or not, I love him.

As far as the work is going, let me tell ya.  Things are going great.  I am loving, loving working with my new ward.  We have been seeing the missionary spirit and enthusiasm climbing up this past week, and already I can sense that there will be great things happening here very soon.  Delegation is key, it turns out.  And love, too.

Thanks for the birthday wishes- I'm very pleased to have made almost a full 23 trips around the sun now.  23 trips around the sun, lots more to make, and then living on and on forever- I'm alive!  How wonderful!  Life is beautiful.

All my love,
Soeur Mann